12.31.2018

December 5th

December 5th, 2018
     Yesterday I woke up for the day and went to the bathroom. As I sat down, I felt a sharp pain in my lower, right side. I figured it was from overdoing it yesterday and dismissed it. It wasn't until I stood up that I noticed my urine was cloudy with blood. I instantly feared the worst and rushed to grab my doppler from my drawer. I found baby and heard the reassuring, quick paced, whoosh of a healthy heartbeat. With that in the clear I just attributed the events to being pregnant and had a self proclaimed, "easy day." Feeling confident that whatever was wrong would right itself with a good night's sleep I drifted off.      
     This morning we had dentist appointments scheduled. As I got up and started getting ready I was disappointed to discover my pain in my lower right side of my back still remained, if anything it was worse. I cut my shower short as I was now having a hard time standing upright. Everything started hurting and I was doubled over on the bed. Danny called the OBGYN and the nurse who took our call said it was most likely a UTI or Kidney stones. She had us come over to the lab asap to do a urinalysis. I have never wished for a UTI in my life before, but having had one prior and never experiencing kidney stones, I figured I'd take the less painful option. 

     We went to the lab, I gave them my sample with the promise that they would call with the results. Danny still had work, so to give me some reprieve, he took Jones up to his mom's house for the day. I called my mom to let her know what was going on. A few hours passed by and then I got the call. The nurse informed me that I had a UTI, and that it probably didn't surprise me. She phoned my Rx over to Danny at the pharmacy. Thanks to my mom running up to the pharmacy I was able to start my antibiotics around 3. I spent the remainder of the day in agony as it hurt to sit, lay down, stand, you name it. By the time Danny had come home, I had taken my second dose of antibiotics but had gained no relief. The pain felt worse than labor. No relief and always constant. My eyes were puffy and swollen from having drained my tear ducts. Finally about 10:30 pm I was being checked into the ER at Altaview. 

     From check in time it took over an hour to get my IV and some pain meds. But once they hit, my pain scale went from a 10 to a 7. The first relief I had had all day. From there we were learned that my urinalysis from earlier in the day was a failed catch and contaminated by my skin cells. The lab had just assumed it was a UTI - awesome. After learning that we were able to do an ultrasound to check out my kidneys, bladder and baby. Since I was 16 ish weeks pregnant they couldn't do a CT scan to see if I did have kidney stones and how many. They don't show up on the ultrasound, only that my kidney is dilated. Another urinalysis confirmed that it was indeed, kidney stones. I was finally admitted to the hospital around 2 am. It was looking like I was going to need surgery so I wasn't allowed any food or drink until surgery was confirmed. But I was given a sponge I could wet my mouth with, so that was cool. -_- After a terrible night's sleep with my pain level hovering around a 7 (even with the [low] dose of morphine) I eagerly awaited the urologist to stop by in the morning to tell me if we were doing surgery or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment